Wednesday 4 May 2011

Negotiated Practice

Entry for the Puffin Children's design award - click to enlarge. I designed this cover for James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl, which was a lot of fun as the story is full of wonderful imagery. It is exciting to be developing my own style which explores the relationship between hand generated type, drawing and three dimensional elements. This image-making method has evolved from the flat papercut work I have been producing and I feel that now I have found a way of combining the two different focuses of my practice.

The peach sculpture is made from Sculpey, carving into the surface and building up the design in relief. The sculpture tells the story of James and the Giant Peach from each different side, inspired by Grayson Perry's narrative ceramics.



No comments:

Post a Comment